Aubergine, Chicken and Chickpea Curry
This is so yummy you won’t even miss the rice!! Plus it’s ready in 35mins and freezes and reheats well. A good, even balance of vegetable carbohydrates and protein from the chickpeas and chicken, so perfect for the Absolute Health plan.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 large or two medium sized onion
- 1 tin chickpeas in water or brine
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 large aubergine you can use courgette if you prefer
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp chilli sauce or chilli flakes
- 2 tsp mustard seeds or 2 tsp strong mustard
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Put a heavy bottomed casserole pan on a high heat with enough oil to cover the bottom. While the oil is heating peel and chop the onion. When the oil smokes add all the seeds, cover and shake pan get the seeds popping. Simmer and add onions stirring so they don’t burn.
- Chop the chicken breast into chunks and add the chicken, ginger, chilli, garlic and other spices to the onions and seeds.
- Wash the aubergine and cut into dice and add to the pan. Leave to cook for ten minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and add to the pan, with water as necessary simmer for 5 mins.
- Finally add the chick peas stir the curry together and season to taste. Cover and allow to simmer slowly for 30 minutes adding water if necessary.
Serve with fresh veg