Butternut squash breakfast muffins
I find these are really handy when you need breakfast or a snack on the go, they are easy to make, delicious and are quick to grab and munch wherever. They have a good, even balance of vegetable carbohydrates and protein from the egg and bacon.
- 1/3 medium sized butternut squash coarsely grated
- 1 large courgette coarsely grated
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 rashers bacon (lean) chopped into small pieces
- 4 eggs beaten
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- Herbs/ spices to taste (I usually add black pepper and a sprinkling of chilli flakes)
- Preheat the oven to 180deg C. Prepare a 12 muffin tin. Use silicon inserts or grease the tins well with oil.
- Put the grated squash and courgette into a large mixing bowl. Add the onion and 2/3 of the bacon (making sure it’s evenly stirred through).
- Add the beaten eggs and oil and herbs and spices, the mixture should be slightly flowing, but well mixed and bound.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the muffin tin. Sprinkle/ place the last 1/3 of the bacon on top of the muffins (this will crisp slightly).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins until the muffins have risen and the top of the muffins are golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from tins. Can be eaten warm or cold. Store in fridge once cooled for up to 3 days, they can be frozen and then defrosted.