Healthy Haddock with White Beans
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- 1 onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- 2x400g cans haricot or cannellinni beans
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Splash of Tabasco sauce
- 4 tomatoes
- 10g flat-leaf parsley
- 4 fillets of haddock or Pollack (or another white fish)
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the rashers into strips. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cook the bacon for a few minutes until the fat begins to crisp.
- . Finely chop the onion and add to pan, lowering the heat. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes until the onion is limp and golden – not brown
- Finely chop the garlic and zest the lemon, chopping it into yellow dust.
- Stir both into the pan and cook for a minute or two until aromatic.
- Rinse the beans in cold water and stir into the pan.
- Dissolve the stick cube in 450ml boiling water then add to the ban with Tabasco sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover the tomatoes with boiling water in a separate pan. Count to 30, then drain the tomatoes, peel and chop.
- Chop the parsley. Cut the fish into big, bite-size chunks and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir tomatoes and most of the parsley into the beans. Cook for 2 minutes then stir in the fish.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the fish is opaque. Serve in shallow soup bowls garnished with parsley and a lemon wedge.