My bolognese sauce (it rocks)
This is a family favourite in our house
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 3-4)
- 1-1.5kg beef mince (the better quality mince you use the better the sauce will taste)
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 500 g passata or crushed tomatoes (i prefer to use crushed tomatoes)
- 10-15 small tomatoes (top tip for better taste: pre-cook them in the oven with a little olive oil, a dash of white wine and salt and pepper for about 35 minutes on 200 degrees)
- fresh thyme and rosemary (or use dried if you don’t have fresh use dried herbs)
- 1 -2 good quality beef stock cubes**
- Dash of red wine
- salt and pepper
- Fry your onion and garlic until soft then add the meat
- season with salt and pepper
- Brown all the meat
- add a dash of red wine
- add your stock cube and herbs and stir
- add your tomatoes and passata and stir
- Bring it to the boil, stir it and turn the heat down and leave it to simmer for at least 1 1/2hrs (you don’t have to cook it for that long if you don’t have time but the longer it cooks the better it taste)
- if you find it cooks dry before the meat is soft add a little water.
- Then taste and season if needed
Serve with fresh vegetables (avocado rocks with bolognese) or courgetti and if you fancy some carbs have a bit of rice, home cooked potato chips or home cooked sweet potato chips with it.
** I buy all my Knorr stock cubes in France - they are so much better (i don't know why but they are). They give the most amazing taste. So next time you or someone you know goes to france ask them to bring some back - you will not regret it.