Chicken Curry (vietnamese style)
Ingredients (serves 2-3):
1 kilo chicken breasts (you can use chicken thighs or legs and even pork or turkey)
1 tbsp madras curry
1 tsp garlic (optional)
1 tsp salt
Freshly cracked pepper
1 chopped white onion or leek
1-2 finely chopped darlic (optional)
1 tbsp grated or finely chopped ginger
2 stalks of lemongrass cut into 2 inch pieces
1 bay leaf (optional)
2 tbsps fish sauce
1 tbsp sugar or honey
3 tbsp madras curry
500ml chicken broth
1 can of coconut milk
2 carrots (cut into 2cm chunks)
2 medium potatoes
2 spring onions and 1/4 of a red chilli (medium hot) for garnish
Marinate the Chicken:
- Add 1 tbsp madras curry, onion, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl with the chicken chunks. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Fry the onion or leeks in a big casserole until soft then add the garlic and ginger and cook for about a minute.
- Add the chicken and stir fry.
- Add the additional curry powder, fish sauce, lemon grass, bay leaf, chicken broth and the coconut milk.
- Simmer until the chicken is tender
- then add the carrots and potatoes.
- There should be plenty of liquid so the carrots and potatoes is covered. (if there isn't add a bit more chicken broth)
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Taste with salt and pepper and more curry powder if you feel it needs it.
- add the spring onions and chilli before serving up.
Serve with rice, spinach and any other veg you fancy.