Pork belly slices (the ultimate hygge dish)
I love this dish and we will have it a few times a month. Pork belly is a cheap cut but make sure you cut it out yourself or get your butcher to do it so the slices are nice and thin
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
1kg pork belly slices (about 1/2 cm thick) (sprinkled with a little salt a few hours before cooking
- Dap the pork slices dry
- place them on baking paper in the middle of a preheated oven 180 degrees.
- Turn them regularly.
- When the pork looks crisp and delicious (dont let them cook crisp and dry so keep an eye on them)
- remove from the oven and place on a piece of absorbent paper.
- Cook time about 30 minutes but does vary depending on your oven and thickness of pork slices.
Serve with either boiled potatoes or chips (my family favourite) or even on a piece of ryebread with stewed apple and onion slices
MY FAVOURITE IS TO SERVE IT WITH HOMEMADE CHIPS AND PARSLEY SAUCE AND STEWED APPLE SLICES.
INGREDIENTS (SERVE 4)
- 25 g butter2 ½ tablespoons of plain flour
- 3 dl semi-skimmed milk
- 1-2 dl water from boiled potatoes or just boiled water (maybe a little more water is needed depending on how you like your sauce)
- 2 dl finely chopped parsley
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the flour, mix with a whisk and warm through.
- Add the milk to the mixture, ½ dl at a time. Whisk thoroughly until the milk is absorbed.
- Once all the milk is added, add a little of the water until you have the consistency you want.
- Salt to taste and then add the finely chopped parsley.
- Let the sauce simmer for 1-2 minutes before serving.
STEWED APPLE SLICES WITH ONION (AEBLEFLAESK)
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 4)
- 5-6 apples
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Prep the apples by rinsing them, remove the core and slice them up
- Finely slice your onion
- Use the fat from the pork by pouring it into your frying pan
- Put the onions on the pan and fry them for a couple of minutes before you add the apples. Place a lid over the pan to steam the apples and onions.
- Stir once in a while and let them cook for about 15 minutes. I like my apples to be soft but still have the shape of the slices they were cut.
- Add a little sugar and some salt for taste - if you dont like to use sugar then I recommend you use sweet apples or add soft /sweet pear to soften the taste.
I hope you will enjoy this dish as much as I do - it has been voted the ultimate hygge dish of Denmark and I can only agree as I love it!!!