We have fajitas most weeks because it is an easy and really social dish.
The way we make it is we roast a whole chicken or 10-12 chicken thighs, cut up lots of vegetables and some fruit (I love apple in mine) and place it in individual bowls. We grate cheese to go in them and we keep the meat juices to either add to the meat when it has been cut into small pieces or to add to the tortilla before we roll it up and eat it.
If we are in a hurry and the girls are hungry I buy the tortillas, but if I have a little bit of time i make them from scratch using this recipe.
INGREDIENTS (8 TORTILLAS)
- 400g self raising flour (if you don’t have self raising flour you can use normal flour and just add 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder to every 150g of plain flour )
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 300ml warm water
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- In a measuring jug mix the warm water and oil together and add to the flour.
- Stir together until all ingredients are well combined and form a dough.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough for 2-3 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 balls and roll each one out individualy.
- Aim for each tortilla to be a similar size to a dinner plate, the dough will shrink back abit when it is resting.In a large frying pan warm a teaspoon of oil and cook each tortilla for 1 minute each side on a medium heat.
- Each side should just start to brown on any raised areas.